Ignore warnings like "Target temperature unlikely to be able to be achieved. Try raising the ambient temperature."

You can ignore this warning: it isn’t working correctly.

Hi!

It happened a few times already that the Pioreactor stopped working mid-experiment because it “overheated”. I am wondering why this is happening and if we should upgrade to the high-temp version even though we only work with temperatures to 37°C. I set up the automatic temperature up to 37°C. In my opinion it should not heat up above a temperatue that is dangerous for the raspberry if the target temp is 37°C. Any suggestions for that? It doesnt happen all the time, but from time to time even though the temperature in our laboratory is constant.

Greetings
Leo

Hi @LeoKleym,

37C isn’t bad for the Raspberry Pi, but the heater PCB (underneath the vial) is much hotter than 37C. There’s a safety limit at ~63C on that heater PCB, and if exceeded, the software will decide to turn off / shutdown.

I’ve mostly seen this happen when frequent dosing occurs, and the heater PCB needs to work overtime to heat up cooler media being entered. Here’s a few solutions to try:

1. Add more insulation, specifically near the top. We’ve put putty around the top of the Pioreactor to help reduce interior drafts and improve heat retention.

2. To solve this issue and get better temperature stability, the temperature expansion kit really helps.

3. You can bump up those safety limits. Add the following code to a new Python file in your /home/pioreactor/.pioreactor/plugins folder:

from pioreactor.background_jobs.monitor import Monitor
    from pioreactor.background_jobs.temperature_control import TemperatureController

TemperatureController.MAX_TEMP_TO_REDUCE_HEATING = 64.0
    TemperatureController.MAX_TEMP_TO_DISABLE_HEATING = 66.0
    TemperatureController.MAX_TEMP_TO_SHUTDOWN = 67.0
    Monitor.MAX_TEMP_TO_SHUTDOWN = 67.0

This may warp the plastics, which are made of PLA. The other kit we sell uses plastics that can be heated well beyond these limits, too.