Issue after power outage

This may be more of a future features request than an actual issue, but yesterday I was running an experiment and we had a short power outage. While the Pio restarted after the power came back, everything was non-responsive despite the web interface acting like the experiment was still running:

• No OD, growth rate, or temperature recordings were taken after the power outage
  • There was no stirring, despite the system insisting it was at 550 RPM
  • I couldn’t adjust any of the settings like stir speed. If I clicked “stop” the web interface would go inactive for a minute and then go back to its original state, with the stirring button “on”.

Rebooting from the Pio web interface did restart the pioreactor, but the experiment remained “frozen”. I had to end the experiment to regain control over the pio…which also means the experiment is now “ruined” as starting a new experiment lead to all incorrect OD/etc measurements.

Hi @suigeneris, yea, better recovery after a power-cycle is a work-in-progress.

I couldn’t adjust any of the settings like stir speed. If I clicked “stop” the web interface would go inactive for a minute and then go back to its original state, with the stirring button “on”.

Right, this is an annoying problem. We’ll fix for the next release. Thanks for the feedback!

In the latest release, 24.5.1, we made a change so that the experiment won’t appear to be running when it really isn’t. That is, there will be better concordance between the UI and the state of the Pioreactor after a power-cycle. This should solve your points ii) and iii)

This doesn’t solve how do we better continue an experiment after a power-cycle, but it atleast solves the annoying UI problems.

1 Like