Looking for users to test a "headful" software image

Historically, we’ve defaulted to a “head-less” Pioreactor, where no monitor is attached to the Pioreactor and you use another computer to interact. The reason was that peripherals like a monitor or mouse can eat up a lot of power, and the Pioreactor is already pretty power-hungry.

We believe that with an recommended power supply, and an RPi 4B or above, there’s enough compute and power to attach a “head” to the Pioreactor.

We’ve developed a beta image that includes the Raspberry Pi desktop, and enables displays and peripherals. If you’re interested in testing this, email me at cam@pioreactor.com

1 Like

I can give it a try with the Pi 400?

Actually the RPi 400 is a great use case, and part of the RPi4 line up. Let me polish up the source code a bit first and then I’ll send you a link (our beta images target the develop branch of our software, and things are a bit messy atm).

@gendor if you’d like to try, here’s a beta 64-bit desktop image: Index of /nightly/leader_worker_desktop/

Once booted, try opening the browser and either pointing at http://pioreactor.local, or http://localhost

1 Like

Just tried it, but only three of the self-tests are passing:

• Pioreactor HAT is detected
  • Heating PCB is detected
  • Heating is responsive

Also, Bluetooth appears to be disabled. I’m attaching the logs, let me know if there’s anything else you’d like me to send:

export_Demo experiment_20240125144533.zip (2.4 KB)

ah I can restore that - I turned it off deliberately but I’ll bring it back.

hm, logs suggest an error in the i2c connection. I can’t reason as to why. I’ll investigate.

1 Like

Oh, I think I know what happened. In my previous tests, I was using a 32 bit architecture, and for this latest release, I decided to use a 64 bit. However, our openocd was compiled on a 32 bit architecture, and we need openocd to write to the firmware for i2c stuff. But it fails when run on a 64 bit architecture.

Why 64 bit anyways? I figure that RPi4 & 5 & 400s have more memory, so we can take advantage of that and offer the 64 bit software (which is generally more performant).

I update the image with a fix. Take a look at the nightlies website again for the latest

Much better! :slight_smile: Three tests are still failing, but I’m not sure if it’s something with my Pioreactor or whether it’s related to the nightly release. I’ll have to revert to the production release to see if the tests still fail. Adding my logs in case you want to have another look:

export_Demo experiment_20240129111105.zip (3.6 KB)

Oh, and I could even use my Bluetooth mouse without any problems. :smiley: