New plugins for Adafruit sensor add-ons

I created two more plugins, each for a type of Adafruit sensor attachment:

CO2 reading plugin

The Adafruit SCD30 or SCD40/41 are CO2, temperature, and humidity sensors that can be attached to the Pioreactor via stemma QT. Use this plugin to retrieve either all readings or just CO2 readings. You can set the amount of minutes between readings, too!

On your command line: pio install-plugin co2-reading-plugin

Spectrometer reading plugin

The Adafruit AS7341 is a spectrometer, meaning it returns the total amount of light present and also amount of each light at 8 different wavelengths (ranging from 415 to 680). It looks and attaches in the same way as the previous sensor. This plugin records a normalized value reading from the spectrometer in between OD readings on your Pioreactor.

On your command line: pio install-plugin spectrometer-reading-plugin

Like my previous two plugins, you can see and install both on the Pioreactor web interface, in the Plugins tab. We ordered some chips, but these won’t arrive for a few weeks, so we’ll update once we’re able to test the plugins properly.

Hi Kelly. Did you have any instructions or suggested resources for setting up the AS7341? I just received the sensor today! I would like to learn more about connecting and configuring it with pioreactor.

Thank you,
David

Hi @dmorehead1988,

We are lacking some docs here! I’ll add them to our official page, but here’s a quick demo:

1. Remove the window from your Pioreactor.

2. Insert the StemmaQT cable into your Pioreactor HAT and the AS7341 board. Note that it is a polar connector, and only fits one way.

3. Place the AS7341 into the window, facing the culture. There will be a small gap - that’s normal and perfectly fine.

4. Using the same screws, secure the AS7341 into place.

5. Install the Pioreactor plugin. (I think the plugin requires a Pioreactor restart, too, before data is saved to the database). The current design of the plugin is designed to take a spec-reading between OD readings, so OD readings is required collect spec data.

Hi @CamDavidsonPilon

Thank you for the quick demo. That’s much easier than I was thinking and have the StemmaQT cable on order now.