Raspberry Pi - Segmentation Fault

I’m trying to run VIM and I keep getting a “Segmentation Fault” message. Other commands, such as ls or nano work fine. I’ve tried reinstalling VIM and turning the Pioreactor off/on.

From Googling around, it sounds like this type of error usually means that either the filesystem is corrupted or the Raspberry Pi doesn’t have sufficient power*.

This Raspberry Pi has been left unplugged for the past few days, and when it was last on, it was working fine. Do you have any thoughts on what I should try next? Do you know what might have caused this?

I’ve always restarted my raspberry pi by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Is this the proper/recommended method for turning it on/off?

I tried looking in /var/log/pioreactor.log, but I didn’t see any error messages. Is there somewhere else I can look for more information?

* Changing its power source might be difficult. I’m out of town and connecting to the router via a very short ethernet cable and there is one wall outlet within reach. I looked at /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to see if I could update the wifi settings, but the password looks like this (I replaced some of the values in the password):

network={
ssid=“network_name”
psk=1a241e7e3aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa1d867b5b137c48e593e1dd015
}

Unfortunately I don’t know much about this! When it was last on, did vim work? Do you remember how you installed vim? What does df -h produce (maybe your disk space is full?).

I’ve always restarted my raspberry pi by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Is this the proper/recommended method for turning it on/off?

It’s can be risky (but usually okay) - it would be more obvious if this damaged your RPi. The fact that you can log in and other commands work is positive. Do other commands fail?

To be safe, I would pull any important files off your SD card (you can use a program like Filezilla to help).

It’s can be risky (but usually okay) - it would be more obvious if this damaged your RPi. The fact that you can log in and other commands work is positive. Do other commands fail?

Is there a better method of doing this? I’ve tried using the “reboot” button in the UI, but it doesn’t work. The button just becomes grayed-out and stays like this:

Other commands, such as cp, ls, nano, sudo nano, df -h, have all been working fine. I also tried reinstalling vim and didn’t have any issues. Last time it was on, vim worked.

df -h shows that I have plenty of space left (~25G available, 3.1G used, 29G total).

To be safe, I would pull any important files off your SD card (you can use a program like Filezilla to help).

I’m trying to do this right now. How do I connect to the Pi? This is what I get when I input “pioreactor:raspberry@pioreactor1.local” into the Host in FileZilla.

Got it working.
Had to use “sftp://pioreactor1.local” as the host, instead of the default ftp://

1 Like

Yes, sftp it is!

Filezilla is really useful for moving python files onto your machines, too.

I use sudo reboot on the command line, and that reboot button is suppose to call sudo reboot, but I’ll have to look into why it’s failing.

Can I copy the entire .pioreactor directory (and sub-directories) from my raspberry pi to my computer and then copy it back over once I re-image the SD card? Will this save things like my current pump calibration?

Yup, pretty sure that would work.