Update Issue - SSH Login Errors

I am trying to update from 23.12.11 to 24.2.26 using the “Updates” tab on the Pio’s web interface. When I attempt this I get the following errors:

Error occurred: RAN: /usr/bin/ssh pioreactor1.local 'pio update app' STDOUT: STDERR: e[36m2024-02-29T16:15:11-0500 DEBUG [update-app] sudo pip3 install "pioreactor @ https://github.com/Pioreactor/pioreactor/releases/download/24.1.9/pioreactor-24.1.9-py3-none-any.whl"e[0m e[36m2024-02-29T16:15:11-0500 DEBUG [update-app] sudo: a terminal is required to read the password; either use the -S option to read from standard input or configure an askpass helper sudo: a password is required e[0m e[31m2024-02-29T16:15:11-0500 ERROR [update-app] Update failed. See logs.e[0m Aborted! . See logs for more.

and

+ set -e + export LC_ALL=C + LC_ALL=C + SRC_TAR=/tmp/pioreactorui.tar.gz ++ mktemp -d -t pioreactorui_XXXX + TEMP_DIR=/tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19 + UI_FOLDER=/var/www/pioreactorui + trap finish EXIT + tar -xzf /tmp/pioreactorui.tar.gz -C /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19 ++ find /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19 -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d + WORK_DIR=/tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19/pioreactorui-24.2.25 + echo /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19/pioreactorui-24.2.25 + [[ -z /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19/pioreactorui-24.2.25 ]] + rsync -ap --ignore-existing /var/www/pioreactorui/contrib/ /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19/pioreactorui-24.2.25/contrib/ + cp -p /var/www/pioreactorui/.env /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19/pioreactorui-24.2.25 + rm -rf /var/www/pioreactorui + mkdir /var/www/pioreactorui + cp -rp /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19/pioreactorui-24.2.25/. /var/www/pioreactorui + chgrp -R www-data /var/www/pioreactorui + finish + rm -rf /tmp/pioreactorui_Ls19 + sudo systemctl restart lighttpd.service sudo: a terminal is required to read the password; either use the -S option to read from standard input or configure an askpass helper sudo: a password is required 

I’m guessing there needs to be a password (presumably the SSh password I set when installing to the MicroSD), but I cannot figure out how to add this. Any help is appreciated.

Hi @suigeneris, welcome!

Hm, that looks like a user/password problem. Normally, you don’t need to specify the password ever. This could indicate a problem in settings during the installation. Can you check the following?

1. If you try to SSH into the Pioreactor, does password raspberry work?

2. If you are able to SSH in, what is the output of the following command?

sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/010_pi-nopasswd

That was indirectly the problem - I think I forgot to click the “Enable SSH” when I configured the pioreactor OS initially. I’ve re-installed the program and made sure to enable SSH. When I click the “Update to Next Release” button I no longer get error messages.